06 Jan Learning from Angel Venture Fair’s 10th Annual Snake Pit
On December 19th, the Angel Venture Fair hosted their 10th Annual Snake Pit. This event is a great opportunity for entrepreneurs to hear the perspective and advice of angel investors, venture capitalists, lenders, lawyers, and everyone in between that a successful entrepreneur might need. Robin Hood Ventures member, Nick Valeriano, was on two panels at this event, offering feedback on pitches and sharing his wisdom about the industry.
There were several standout moments at this event, including some spirited debate about the current macro environment, and Elon Musk. However, what struck me most was the feedback given to one entrepreneur who shared his pitch deck. Here were my takeaways:
- A substantive presentation is more important than just a good idea
- Highlight clearly a defined market and the plan to reach said market
- Outline the product or service early in the presentation
- Be clear with the intended allocation of capital
- A strong pitch deck really is everything
- As noted by one investor, while the initial pitch is only the first meeting, it’s best to set yourself up and be prepared for that second meeting
This event was an awesome opportunity to learn from those with years of experience, and meet others in the industry. I am looking forward to the next Snake Pit!